There are a lot of different names for trucks. Semis. Eighteen-wheelers. Tractor trailers. Whatever you call them, when you drive alongside these on the highway, it can be anxiety-filled. They are monstrously intimidating in size and take up a great portion of the road. Although some may call this fear of driving alongside truck irrational, the reality is truck accidents hold a much greater potential for injury. This is mostly due to their sheer size and their destructive capability.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents in Los Angeles
With almost 4 million people living in Los Angeles, the roads are very crowded. While some truck accidents are caused by passenger cars, the most common causes of truck accidents are the commercial trucks themselves such as:
- Truck driver tiredness and fatigue – although there is a federal legal limit to how long truck drivers are allowed to work, sometimes the 11 hours on, 10 hours off can causes even the most seasoned drivers tired.
- Poor or improper truck maintenance – anything from faulty breaks or tire blowouts are considered poor truck maintenance. The trucking company should be sure that their fleet is being maintained to help prevent accidents.
- Poor weather conditions – even the best drivers sometimes fall victim to inclement weather conditions. Swerving in and out of lanes and slippering conditions can cause the driver to lose control of the truck.
- Distracted driving – recently, one of the most common causes of truck accidents is texting and driving. It’s no secret that distracted driving is dangerous.
- Unsafe driving – although this is not exclusive to just trucks, due to the magnitude of the size of trucks, unsafe driving makes accidents as well as catastrophic injuries more likely. Unsafe driving includes speeding, tailgating, road rage, failure to use turn signals and frequently changing lanes.
- Overloading and not secure cargo – loading the tractor-trailer with too much weight can cause tires to blow out. Not properly secure cargo can leak all over the road and cause major traffic accidents.
What To Do After You Are Injured In A Truck Accident in Los Angeles
If you have recently found yourself in the midst of an accident with a commercial truck, the first thing you must do is seek medical attention. Consult a doctor immediately, whether you have suffered obvious injury or not. It is important to see if there is any potential for serious injury. Common injuries that may occur from a truck accident include:
- Broken Bone Injuries
- Spinal Chord Injuries
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Internal injuries
- Rib and Torso injuries
- Seat Belt Injuries
- Wrongful Death
Once you are recovering, it’s time to consider whether or not you should file a lawsuit against the truck driver for negligence. Many trucks are operated by trained and paid professionals. Thereby making the task of successfully collecting damages or other financial compensation much more difficult at the outset. Beyond the challenge of an insurance company determined not to pay, truck drivers also bring with them the backing of whatever company they represent behind the wheel. This challenge for many motor vehicle operators makes the assistance and experience of Los Angeles Truck Accident Lawyer not only invaluable – it is almost absolutely necessary.
What To Expect From Our Los Angeles Truck Accident Lawyers
While many trucking companies will attempt to conduct their own investigations to put injured motorists at a disadvantage in litigation, some may offer a settlement immediately or soon after the accident. It is imperative to avoid speaking with or agreeing to a settlement with insurance companies representing a liable party in an accident. You should contact a legal professional immediately.
However, establishing a case with one of our truck accident attorneys at Los Angeles PI Law will help you in securing financial compensation for your injuries. We conduct an investigation on your behalf – collecting evidence and interviewing any witnesses – with the cooperation of a medical professional who can determine the full extent of your potential injuries as a result of the accident. Our expert team of truck accident attorneys is also prepared to represent you in a courtroom setting, determined to win the highest-valued award for your injuries, damages, lost wages, and medical expenses. We fight the good fight to ensure you and your loved ones will not suffer more than need be. Because at Los Angeles PI Law, our dedication is to Los Angeles and its citizens, not corporations and insurance companies.
Truck Laws in Los Angeles
While there are rules of the road that all motorists are required to observe, professional truck drivers are held to a still higher standard of operating a vehicle. They must adhere to strict hours and take required breaks at regular intervals. Their vehicles are subject to more frequent and rigorous inspection to ensure they are up to standard par performance. Failure to adhere to these laws alone may subject them to a penalty by itself.
How Do We Prove Negligence In A Truck Accident Case?
Any discovery of failure to adhere to the aforementioned regulations after an accident would put an injured motorist in a good position to receive compensation for any suffering after the fact. The experienced professionals at Los Angeles PI Law are committed to proving liability such as this for those who have suffered injuries sustained in such accidents. Here are a few ways that we can prove liability and negligence:
- Negligence on part of the trucking company
- Poor or improper maintenance
- Mistakes made by truck driver during operation
- Fatigue from neglecting regularly scheduled breaks
- Distracted driving (texting, eating, etc.)
- Overweight trailers
- Unsafe, unsecure, or even hazardous materials
Contact A Los Angeles Truck Accident Lawyer
Even though truck drivers and their companies are generally better prepared financially for litigation, the ability of an experienced Los Angeles truck accident lawyer can balance the scales considerably for an injured motorist.
If you feel that you have been the victim of a truck accident in Los Angeles due to a driver’s or trucking company’s negligence, then feel free to fill out our contact form or give us a call at 310-907-8682. Our truck accident lawyers are ready and waiting to help you in yoru time of need.