Los Angeles Dog Bite Accidents

los angeles dog bite attorneys can help you if you've been attacked by a dogDog bite accidents are often very traumatic. Although they are called “man’s best friend” sometimes a cute puppy can give in to their animalistic nature and bite someone. And although most of the time a quick nip from a dog doesn’t cause any harm, sometimes the injury can be severe. If you’re the victim of a dog bite injury, you might have the right to seek compensation for your injury so you can recover funds to help cover the cost of your medical expenses as well as lost wages from any missed work.

One of the most common reasons people do not file dog bite injury claims is because they know the owner of the dog and do not want to cause any discord. Our Los Angeles dog bite attorneys have the experience handling these complex cases. We know that you don’t want to ruin your relationship with the dog owner so we handle these cases discreetly and quickly so you can get back to your life before your accident. So whether you had your accident at Laural Canyon Dog Park or Whitnall Off-Leash Dog Park,  give us a call or fill out the contact form to request a free consultation regarding your dog bite accident case.

Surprising Dog Bite Statistics

In the year of 2016, the approximate amount of Dog’s in the United State was 78 million. And Californian’s own the most dogs out of any state! In fact, according to the CDC, there are 4.5 million dog bites each year! If you want a break down of the math that means there’s a 5.7% of being bitten by a dog, but that’s the national average. This means the risk of a dog bite injury is higher in California than any other place in the country.

If you are worried about getting a dog bite injury these are the most common breeds that bite:

  1. Chihuahua
  2. Bulldog
  3. Pit Bull
  4. German Shepherd
  5. Australian Shepherd
  6. Lhasa Apso
  7. Jack Russel Terrier
  8. Cocker Spaniel
  9. Bull Terrier
  10. Pekingese
  11. Papillion

Common Dog Bite Injuries in Los Angeles

Did you know that 80% of dog bites lead to minor injuries that require no medical attention whatsoever? However, in certain circumstances, the other remaining 20% of dog bites can lead to some major consequences. Some of the most common dog bite injuries for victims in Los Angeles include:

  • Puncture wounds
  • Broken bones or bone dislocation (especially if the victim was tackled to the ground by a dog)
  • Lacerations, contusions, and abrasions
  • Infections which can lead to amputation if they come hard to manage
  • Cosmetic disfigurement of the area
  • Psychological and emotional trauma
  • Death

It might sound surprising that death can result from a dog bite. However, in 2017, there were 41 deaths related to dog bite injuries. In fact, over $530 million dollars was paid out by insurance companies for those who filed for a dog bite claim.

Who Is Liable For Dog Bite Injury In Los Angeles?

In California, the liability for dog bite cases is very strict. The pet owner is responsible for their dog’s actions according to section 3342 of California’s dog bite law. However, there are few times where they are not responsible such as if the dog was provoked, injuries that were sustained during a crime (i.e. your dog bites a burglar, the burglar cannot hold you accountable) and any attacks that occur from animal cruelty.

Los Angeles is also very strict about the laws regarding pet ownership. Dog owners are required to keep their dog on a leash and if their dog is over the age of 4 months old, they must maintain a yearly license. In the event that you are injured by a dog and their owner is violating any of these laws, it will help us prove that the dog owner was being negligent under the negligence per se doctrine (section 669).

In some cases, if you do not want to file a suit against the dog owner, you can file a “one bite rule” claim. This holds the keeper of the animal (such as a dog walker) will hold them responsible.

Typical Compensation For Dog Bite Injuries in Los Angeles

If you decide to file a claim for a dog bite injury, you might be entitled to get compensations for current and ongoing medical expenses, payment for mental health treatment, compensations for pain and suffering, payment for loss of wages and future income earning ability.

Contact Our Los Angeles Dog Bite Lawyers!

If you’ve been injured by a dog, do not be afraid to seek justice for your injury. Our dedicated dog bite attorneys will sit down with you for a free consultation. Contact us now by filling out the form or feel free to call us at 310-907-8682!